[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Socked in...

> BTW, for anyone interested we got two great shots of the Leonids. Both with
> a 28MM lens piggyback for 5-10 mins on the back of our 6 inch astrophysics.
> The first is a nice meteor thru Orion (about 2:00 AM EDT 11/17/96), the
> second at about 4:15 AM EDT of a meteor train that was visible to the naked
> eye for a full 10 mins !!! (by the time I shot it, it was already there for
> about 3 mins. after the fireball (which lit up the area as if it were
> daylight), so the end exposure was about 7 mins. long).

What are 10 minutes? :-))) Please have a look at
http://wwwdot be.schuledot de/schulen/wfs/PotW/Aktuell/PotW.html
What you will see there as the 'picture of the week' (so hurry, today is
Friday) is the photograph of a persistent train, that lasted for 30 (yes:
thirty :) minutes visually and could still be photographed after ohe
hour!!
The guy who had the fortune was an astro photographer who went to
Teneriffe just during the Leonids maximum. We had what we were looking for
- clear skies.
He describes the event as follows: "The were two flashes. The bolide
broke into a number of pieces and reached about full moon brightness. The
persistent train was visible for more that 30 minutes with naked eyes."
I got good copies from his slides and will prepare a short article for
WGN.
BTW, the longest persistent trains I ever saw was 'only' half a minute or
so.
Sirko

*           Sirko Molau             *                    __              *
*          Str.246 Nr.16            *             " 2B v 2B "            *
*          D-13086 Berlin           *                                    *
*   smo@informatik.tu-chemnitzdot de   *                       Shakespeare  *
*   http://www.tu-chemnitzdot de/~smo  *                                    *