[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Preliminary photographic results Geminids '96

Preliminary photographic results Geminids 1996 DMS-team Delphinus:

We now have developed 16 films out of 20 films.
A very first investigation of the negatives shows a lot of meteortrails and
some of them are really great! From this first overview we expect to have
photographed about 100 meteors or maybe even more! All images containing
meteortrails will be transferred to photo-CD. From the finest pictures a
selection will be published on our DMS ftp-site which can be reached from
the DMS homepage. We expect our first pictures to have available before
christmas.
Our colleagues of team Pisces Orientalis at Varsseveld and Jaap van 't Leven
at Bosschenhoofd operated similar photographic equipment thus we hope a
considerable number of the photographed meteors will be multistation. This
will enable us to compute orbital elements.

Photographic equipment and working method:

Team Delphinus uses 3 kamerabatteries equiped with Canon T-70 which are
controlled by a fully programmable command back 70.
The low battery (9 camera's) is aimed at an elevation of 25 degrees, the
middle battery (7 camera's) is aimed at an elevation of 50 degrees and the
high battery (4 camera's) at 75 degrees. All camera's are equiped with
1.4/50 mm or 1.8/50 mm objectives which are stopped down to 2.8 to get
sharper images.
We use Kodak T-max 400 which is developed for about 8 minutes in Kodak T-max
at 24 degrees centigrade.
The exposuretime ranges from 18 minutes for the low battery to 20 minutes
for the high one. Exposures started at 19:30 UT and ended at 06:00 UT.
All camerabatteries are equiped with a rotating shutter made up of 4 blades
of 30 degrees each. It's rotational speed is 12.5 rps which yields 50 breaks
per second. The shuttermotor is christal controlled which makes it possible
to calculate orbital elements with higher accuracy.

Please refer to the photographic section at the DMS- and IMO-website for
further information regarding photographic techniques.

Best wishes,

Casper.
|     Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD De Bilt, the Netherlands     |
|    Phone: (31)-30-2203170; Fax: (31)-30-2202695; GSM: (31)-6-54723974    |
|                         E-mail: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl                       |
|         DMS-website: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm         |