[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) West Coast Fireball

The radio this morning was full of reports of a very bright, green
object traversing the sky, seen from Salem, Oregon, USA to Vancouver
Island, British Columbia, Canada, this morning, December 17, 1996 in
the pre-dawn sky .  Hundreds of calls were generated to local radio
stations in the Seattle area.  This object was probably a meteor.  I
heard one speculation that it was so bright because it was a)
intrisically bright, and b) illuminated by the sun.

Two co-workers here saw it.  Time noted as 6:14 a.m. PST.  Very
bright.  "100 times brighter than anything I've ever seen."  Estimated
brighter than the moon, about 1 degree head and 40 degree tail, green
to green-yellow.

I failed to see it; I wonder if our vacationing list-admin saw this
one?

My 2 cents: It would be helpful if everyone included their approximate
location in their signature.  It is sometimes hard to keep track of
where everyone is.  For example, I'm in Seattle, WA, USA which means I
can't see the southern cross or a transit of Venus.

Gregg Lobdell                             Voice: 206-234-0884
Boeing Commercial Airplane Group            Fax: 206-234-5775
Seattle, WA, USA                       InterNet: gml@atadot ca.boeingdot com

Follow-Ups: References: