[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) How do you do it?

At 07:59 AM 12/18/96 -0500, Michael asked:
>I continue to read about how many of you observe all night for a few
>nights then go back to a "normal" sleep-wake schedule then stay up all
>night again.
>I always have found that when you sleep is determined by habit. For
>example: If for about a week or more you go to bed at 9:00pm then the
>following week you will naturally be tired at 9:00pm. Many people who
>work night shifts are naturally awake all night and are use to sleeping
>in the day. But for a meteor observer who has school  or work during the
>day; how do you constantly change the sleep-wake schedule on your body
>and on some nights, when you don't observe, sleep. And stay awake on
>other nights to observe for seemingly long hours?

What I usually try to do is on the first night I begin observing, I only get
about three hours sleep before observing. The next day I am tired because of
this, so once I get home for work, I eat and go straight to bed. Then try to
get 5 hours sleep each night before observing. By getting only 3 hours the
first night, I am so tired, I have no trouble going to sleep.

At the end of my observations, I get back into my normal sleep routine by
not going to bed until around my 'normal' time. By this time, I am usually
so tired, from observing that morning, I could sleep at any time.

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net