[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) NAMN January Target Shower: Quadrantids

Hello Everyone,

We kick off the 1997 meteor season with what I consider the last major
shower of the year, even though it always occurs at the beginning of a new
year. The radiant of the Quadrantids lies in Bootes, which is circumpolar
for much of the northern hemisphere. However, it is best placed after local
midnight and reaches its highest elevation near dawn. In 1997, a waning
crescent moon will only cause observers a minor problem. NAMN observers will
be fortunate this year as the IMO's prediction for time of peak favors North
America. I urge everyone to brave the cold and snowy conditions and keep an
eye on this shower.

Observations of this shower are extremely important. Because of the poor
weather often experienced in January, many observers miss this shower
because of weather and the fact that the Quad maximum occurs for only a few
hours. This fact causes some questions to remain unanswered such as whether
or not this shower has variable activity. Current beliefs is that it does
exhibit this variability, but our observations will help nail this down.

Below is some characteristics of the Quadrantids that I obtained from the
IMO home page:

1997 Quadrantids:
Active         : January 1-5;
Maximum        : January 3, 11h UT;
ZHR            = 120 (can vary around 60-200);
Radiant        : RA = 230° (15h 20m), DEC = +49°;
Diameter       : 5° at maximum;
Velocity       = 41 km/s;
Pop. Index (r) = 2.1 at maximum, but variable;

Good luck,

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net