[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Radio meteor audio tape

Saturday January 4, 1997

Greetings and clear skies to all.

I'm wondering if there would be any interest in an audio tape sampler of
radio meteor specimens from my radio observatory recordings of the past few
years?

I could put together a tape which would include peak period examples of
various major showers, many significant fireballs, shower fireballs, common
sporadics, stereo meteors, possibly some meteor induced sporadic-E
phenomena, maybe a space shuttle re-entry or two (which makes dynamic
scatter off its fireball and trail). And other neat stuff.

My observatory is in Santa Fe, New Mexico and I work at FM frequencies
between 88 MHz and 100 MHz.  I operate two separate radios and antennas and
record the input to separate channels of stereo audio tape. One antenna
points northeast and the other east and in essence this is a stereo radio
telescope. You can often hear meteors pass directionally through the lobes
of the antennas, first registering one one radio and then pass through the
other radio.  It's very cool.

I'm fortunate to be in a prime radio observing position with my sensitivity
range out over the vast American Great Plains.

I'm thinking of setting a price of $15 for this research grade specimen
sampler tape including postage.

If there is enough interest I'll manifest this sampler.

Also, if anyone is interested, I can also make custom copies of specific
meteor shower periods.  For example, as I type this note I am listening to
the 09 UT hour of the 1997 Quadranids period. It's dense with meteors! It's
exhilarating to listen to the earth pass in time through cometary debris
belts and note the patterns and dynamism.

Anyway, I'm researching demand before embarking on this project. Let me
know.

Tom Ashcraft
72632.1427@compuserve.com
Radio Fireball Observatory