[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) SoCal Quads

Hi All
 Just a quick message about the Quads in my part of Southern California.

2/3 Jan.  Completely clouded over all night.  No observation possible.

3 Jan.  Clouds cleared and Sun was shining by 1 PM.   It was still clear at
6 PM so I decided to go to Gorman and try my luck.   Arrived there at 11 PM,
cloud to south and west, clear to north and east when I started observing
the Bootes area.  LM at areas 3 and 19 was 5.7.  By midnight LM was 5.4.  By
1 AM it was down to about 5.  At 1:40 PM I saw my one and only meteor and I
could not see the corner stars for area 19.   At 1:45 I could see no stars
at all.

Oh yes. that meteor was a Quad, mag 1, medium speed, app .5 sec., hazy
white (due to thin cloud).  My Teff was app 2 hours.

I hope this report from way out west, such as it is, will help Norman in his
investigation of the cut off characteristics of the Quads.

Ron