[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Hale-Boppids..?

> This was addressed in IMO's WGN journal by Duncan Steele last winter. I
> believe it's in the December 1995 edition....although I haven't looked it up?
> Anyhow, the bottom line is that Hale-Bopp doesn't have a dirty snowball
> chance in HE--Double Hockey Sticks to produce a meteor shower.

That isn't stopping the popular astrologers.  Astrology is a big
selling point for tabloid newspapers in the UK, and they promote it
with lots of TV advertising.  The "Daily Mail" (which my mother gets)
had a supplement for 1997 horoscopes.  The overview rambled on about
how portentious, and significant the new comet will be to our lives,
and how we'd all have a wonderful year (I always thought a comet was a
sign of impending disaster), and mentioned that it would produce a
brilliant show of shooting stars.  They'd better stick to the
astrology and leave the astronomy well alone.

Malcolm