[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Radio meteor audio tape

>>>...Thomas Ashcraft wrote:
> ...Radio meteor observing is easy to do if your local conditions are
suitable.
> The problem is that most folks reside in dense metropolitan areas where
> radio astronomy is difficult to practice due to electro-magnetic
> saturation....

John Ohrt wrote:   Unfortunately, I'm moving from Regina, Saskatchewan (in
the GreatPlains) to Toronto, Ontario and the reception is likely
challenging in
Toronto!  I won't let that stop me from trying, because as I understand
it, you can start with very modest equipment and work your way up.
Besides, I occasionally visit my parents, and it is a lot quiter
there....<<<

John,

Indeed, radio meteor observing within the megalopolis may be next to
impossible.

Yet some devoted urban meteor observers may be interested in having the
option of radio observing special meteoric events like predicted outbursts
that may not be accessible visually due to moonlight, clouds or daylight.
In certain instances, it it may be possible to travel to a rural site, set
up a featherweight FM yagi antenna on a camera tripod and use a portable FM
radio to do meteor scatter observing. The key to do this is a $25.
directional FM yagi antenna that is a standard item at Radio Shack. (At
least in US stores.)

I'm planning to write on this method soon and will report to the meteorobs
list.

Best regards---Tom Ashcraft