[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Radio meteors from the city

Cathy Hall wrote:

> Moving to Toronto?  My deepest condolences!  I lived just north of there for 13
> years, and it is... not encouraging for astronomy!

I'm not looking forward to it either as an amateur astronomer.  OTH, I
was in Ottawa for 15 years, and the skies aren't great there either.  I
currently have better skies from my back yard that the deep sky site
near Carleton Place.  The club deep sky sight would blow your mind.  And
for serious observing, you go to Cypress Hills, where at 4500+ ft the
observing is super.

We're only at 2700 here ;)

While most of Ottawa centre goes to the deep sky site,  you can get
excellent viewing by going south out of Ottawa and then just get off the
416.  I used to live in Spencerville and I believe Peter Cervalo still
lives in Oxford Mills.

I'm going to miss the skies somewhat, but my parents live near the
shores of Lake Erie, and the viewing from there isn't too bad.  (groan)

OTH, they also live in Punta Gorda :-)

Thanks for thinking of me,

Regards,
John