[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Transmission Gratings

In message <Pine.HPP.3.91.970114175745.8152A-
100000@hills.ccsf.ccdot ca.us>, Darryl Stanford <dstanfor@ccsf.ccdot ca.us>
writes
>Hi Jeff,
>I was wondering what platforms does IRAF support?  Can it be used on a PC
>or Mac?  I would like to take some stellar spectra w/ST 6I CCD camera
>using a Rainbow Optics transmission diffraction grating.  It would be
>nice if I could reduce my data using IRAF.  Thanx
>
>Darryl

IRAF is a UNIX package, it has been ported to the popular and free
(almost) LINUX OS. Although there is no variant for MS Windows, or the
Mac - (It is unlikely they will release one), there are versions of
Linux that can be installed to an MSDOS system, performance is not as
good as if LINUX is installed to its own partition but it does work. You
even get a 'mini' LINUX with the LINUX for Astronomy disk from the
Random Factory, although I don't know how good it is - I have not tried
it.
For anyone interested in trying LINUX and IRAF I recommend RedHat LINUX
see http://www.redhat.com. IRAF can be obtained from the Random Factory
on CD see http://home.earthlinkdot net/~rfactory/lfa.html.
However I have installed a lot of the applications on both of the above
disks and this takes up around 800Mb! You can however run IRAF off the
CD with decreased disk useage and a slower response.

--
Jeff Lashley