[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteorite specific gravity

GeoZay@aol.com wrote:

> I'm trying to find some approximate specific gravities for meteorites. Does
> anyone know what the specific gravities are for a Stony, Stony/Iron and Iron
> meteorite? I'm not looking at too precise figures here...just some ball park
> ideas. I also realize that the three major classifications are again further
> reduced to various groupings...so a range of specific gravities would
> suffice. thanks!
> George Zay

Reference:

Physics of Meteor Flight in the Atmosphere
Ernst J. Opik
Interscience, 1958

Typical stoney 3.4
iron           7.8

The iron based bodies typically have an average nickel content of 8.5%.
You can't just prorate the density and the percentage, because various
cyrstal lattice structures can form, so just guess as 7.8 or a slightly
lower value.

Stony-irons lie somewhere between the above values.

If your thinking of a model of meteor flight, I have a modified version
of the S&T jan 87 program which uses a smoother interpolation technique
and an improved user input options.  The model is otherwise unchanged.

OTH, it requires Quick Basic to run the source code.  I can aslo provide
a compiled version, when I find my code and notes :-)

I'm in the middle of a move!

Regards,
John

--