From:	Richard Huziak, INTERNET:huziak@SEDSystemsdot ca
TO:	Multiple recipients of list rasclist, INTERNET:RASCLIST@ASTROTECH.STMARYSdot ca
DATE:	1/20/97 6:43 PM

RE:	RASC List: Fireball over SK, AB, Jan. 20

Sender: owner-rasclist@astrotech.stmarysdot ca
To: Multiple recipients of list rasclist <rasclist@astrotech.stmarysdot ca>
Sender: owner-rasclist@astrotech.stmarysdot ca
From: Richard Huziak <huziak@SEDSystemsdot ca>
Subject: RASC List: Fireball over SK, AB, Jan. 20
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 17:36:23 -0500 (EST)

Hi there,

We have a report of a fireball seen to the west of
Saskatoon on January 16, ~20:30 CST.  (Jan 17, 02:30UT).
This fireball was quite bright, showing blue/green at the
beginning.  At the end, the head may have turned orange,
but at least two fragments were ejected to the sides while
the head travelled onward.  It was visible for 2-3 seconds
(though neither of my observers believe they saw the
beginning, probably due to the bright lights of
Saskatoon to their right).

From Saskatoon, the 'beginning' was at approx PA 280 deg,
alt 20 deg, the end at approx PA 255 deg, alt 15 deg.  The
fireball travelled near our W horizon, generally N to S.

I've been told that fireballs that are seen to fragment are
more likely to drop meteorites, as fragmentation shows that
enough mass lasted to the lower atmosphere to become
meteorites.

Since fireballs are generally visible for 300 to 700 kms,
it's possible that Edmonton, Calgary or Regina saw a
fireball that this time.  Anyone out there see it?

Richard Huziak, Saskatoon Centre, and MIAC guy.
huziak@sedsystemsdot ca