[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Where are you guys?

Hi, Becky, here's my homey $0.02. (Is it folksy, too? ;>)

Guess you've gotten an idea from the responses so far that we're all over the country (and the world). I believe we have at least one or two more subscribers down Texas-way. But when it comes to meteor observers, the globe is spread pretty thin. Which is why every observer is important to the field!

Wayne already mentioned I live near Boston - one of the worst light-polluted spots on the planet outside of Times Square. But I have a spot nearby, which I can reach in a pinch, that consistently gives me a visual limiting magnitude of 5.0 or better (when it's not clouded over :>).

Oftentimes, my good old (skunk infested) backyard in suburban Medford is just dark enough to reach that 5.0 limit, too. (5.0 is the recommended lower limit for visual limiting magnitudes if you're collecting meteor rate data.) Like all the other folks listening in of course, I dream of getting out to the country spots where the Milky Way is bright and the clouds are black (instead of the other way around). But lots of fun and useful observing can be done from that scuzzy site nearby!

How about you: does your local club have any good observing sites nearby?

Lew

Karen Simmons & Lew Gramer lewkaren@tiacdot net http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren