[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Where we all are.

>In 93 I was watching the perseids, and right as I saw this really nice
bright one streaking down, I heard it !!!!  It made a sort of sizzling noise
like the sound bottle rockets make when they are set off.
Has anyone else heard a meteor?<

Hi Becky--

When I was little (11 or so), laying in bed one night, about to go to sleep, I
heard a hissing noise from the open window and looked up in time to see a huge
orange streak across the sky.  I didn't know what it was 'til I was older--at
the time I told my family I'd just seen a comet and they didn't believe me.
That fireball got me interested in astronomy--along with one night (about the
same year, I think), when my mom woke me up to look at the sky.  She said that
there were some nights with more falling stars than others, and we sat out
watching them for a couple hours.  Meteor showers were such a weird concept
for me then that I had to ask her the next morning if I'd dreamed the whole
thing.  Have been watching for meteors ever since--I just joined the list,
too, and mostly listen to all the wonderful, enthusiastic commentary.

My location--Foster City, 1/2 hour south of San Francisco, CA.  Light
pollution and fog, unfortunately (not to mention the latest spate of crappy
weather).  I've gone out in the hills (Skyline Blvd, Hwy. 35) to watch meteor
showers, and it's a definite improvement.

Welcome to the list!

Monica