[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Firball Noise (was Where we all are)

Hi Lew, Gary and others,

Members of the Dutch Meteor Society (DMS) and of the Spanish Meteor Society
(SOMICE) observed the Leonids and alfa-Monocerotids in Spain in 1995. We had
setup 4 observing stations in Andalucia to acquire multistation photographic
and video meteors. In the beginning of the night of 17/18 november a very
bright Taurid fireball of approximately magnitude -15 appeared over our
observing locations. At that moment all photographic and video-equipment was
in full operation. Also the mics of the Hi-8 camcorders were open. The mics
at stations Zafaraya and Almedinilla recorded the sonic booms produced by
the fireball.

These recordings (WAV-files) are on our DMS FTP-site which can be reached
via the DMS website.

The URL is: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm

Go to DMS FTP-site and then to Taurid fireball. Click on ALM500.WAV and
ZAF400.WAV. Be sure you have your audio-equipment in working order and you
have the software to play the wav-files! Notice you will hear two booms
about 1 second after each other.

Casper.

At 15:31 24-01-97 -0600, you wrote:
>Lew,
>
>My post may not have indicated it, but there were delays to both of these
>events. Also, I am referring to them as booms, but they were definitely on
>the low bass end of the sound spectrum. Maybe a short thunder sound might
>apply. It has been a while since I've heard a sonic boom, so I can't
>compare the events. Plus, the descriptions I gave are as I wrote them at
>the time of the observations. I can currently recall my reaction, but the
>written sound descriptions are all I have. I should point out that a tape
>recorder was going at the time of the first sound, but nothing was
>recorded.
>
>Gary
|     Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD De Bilt, the Netherlands     |
|    Phone: (31)-30-2203170; Fax: (31)-30-2202695; GSM: (31)-6-54723974    |
|                         E-mail: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl                       |
|         DMS-website: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm         |