[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) RE: meteorobs-digest V1 #340

Hi Robert and Tom,

>From: "Fuerst, Robert C. (Chris)" <FUEC0@towanda.sylvania.com>
>Date: Sat, 25 Jan 97 12:20:00 PST
>Subject: (meteorobs) sound
>
>     Has anyone recorded some of these "booms" and found out approximate HZ
>ranges for them?  I know last week someone had talked about a tape of
>sounds. I just read an article in Scientific American on constructing a low
>frequency recorder and was thinking it may be able to be used to detect
>daytime "booms".  Are any of these sounds available in a .au format that
>could be downloaded off the net of attached to e-mail?

>Hi 1st,
>
>There is actually an .au file of a meteoric boom that I believe the Dutch
>meteor observers can guide you to.
>

>Tom Ashcraft   New Mexico

Indeed observers of the Dutch Meteor Society succeeded in recording sonic booms
of a bright fireball, supposedly a deeply penetrating member of the Taurid/Enke
complex (we also have double station photographs if this event). The recordings
were made by Hi-8 camcorders which were operating to catch meteors at the same
time. The time delay between the event and the booms was about three minutes.

You can download the recordings (in Microsoft Windows *.wav format) from the
homepage of the Dutch Meteor Society:

http://www.pidot net/~Eterkuile/meteors/dms.htm

Look at the item "photo's" and then the sub-directory "taurid fireball".
The material was also sent to Revelle for further analysis.

Hope you like them,

Marc de Lignie