[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Where are you guys?

Hi Becky and everyone else on this list,

I am a member of the Dutch Meteor Society which consist of a number of
observing teams. One such team is Delphinus who do their observations near
the little town of Biddinghuizen in the polder in the center of Holland
about 4 meters below sealevel. Thanks to our dikes we don't get wet... If
weather is bad and we still wish to observe we jump into our cars, and with
some help from the NOAA weatherimages and meteorologist Jacob Kuiper, we
drive to clear skies such as the Leonids last year.
The Geminids 1996 are our last very succesfull observing session in
Biddinghuizen. We were very happy to observe the whole long night (~12
hours!) under fairly good conditions (Lm~6.5) which is very rare in our
cloudy country along the Northsea. We then observed many hunderds of meteors
visually. About 200 meteors were photographed on film and recorded with the
image intensified videosystem. Many photographs and video-images will be
multistation with the DMS observing teams at Varsseveld in the eastern part
of Holland and with Jaap van 't Leven in Bosschenhoofd in the south-western
part of Holland. Part of these results are on our website:
http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm   Go to Geminids 1996 and enjoy!
It was one of our best observing campaigns ever in history of the Dutch
Meteor Society! Main observers of team Delphinus are: Marco Langbroek, Koen
Miskotte, Robert Haas, Jos Nijland and myself.

Happy observing!

Casper.

At 07:51 22-01-97 EST, you wrote:
>Well, Becky, the usual suspects are Wayne and Kevin, observing from the
>wilds of New Joisey<g>,
>A fellow suthner, Mark in South Carolina, Lew (transplanted suthner) up
>near Baaaaaaston Mass, and George, Bob (and others now like Ron) in (it
>never rains in) southern California, as well as Norman in Florida. Then we
>have another George, and Gary in the midwest,
>and guarding the Northern Border is Cathy in the Great White North. I think
>she said she's neighbor to some Claus family. Several folks from the UK,
>who never actually get to see the sky, also chime in,as well as some from
>South Africa, South America, Germany, Netherlands, and elswhere in Europe.
>And that's just those that popped into my head in the minute or so I'm
>replying. If I forgot anyone, you did not get forgotten, the buzzer sounded
>and time expired!
>	Speaking for our NJ location, we have LM's as good as about 6.0 (and
>worse, too). It takes me 75 seconds to get to the observatory, It takes
>Kevin 75 minutes. If it's partly cloudy and we get bored, we can always go
>fire up the 26" in the dome :-).
>	Welcome, and feel free to ask any questions. There are no stupid
>questions, though some of us aren't real bright at times :-). 'Specially
>after staying up all night watching the show!
>
>Wayne,
>substitutiong his (alleged) wit for Lew's homey welcome
>

>Wayne Tv
>-------------
>Original Text
>From: rnugent@ghgdot net (Richard L. Nugent), on 1/22/97 12:34 PM:
>To: "'meteorobs'" <meteorobs@latrade.com>
>
>I'm just about 10 days into this group, and have enjoyed the information
>posted here.  I would like to know in what areas some of you "regular" =
>posters live/view so I can get a better idea of your viewing conditions =
>and where we all are?
>
>I am down here in Houston, Texas and I view not far from the Johnson =
>Space Center.   As you can imagine, the skies are not great, but I have = a
>10"  Dob, and a  pair of 8 x 56 Celestron Ultima binoculars that get a =
>workout.  When meteor showers are to be viewed, that means driving down =
>to Galveston  ( about 30 minutes away) and watching from the beach, = which
>is not bad.
>
>I'm collecting micrometeorites, and hope to have some information to =
>share with you all soon.
>Thanks for your replies.
>
>Becky Schultz

|     Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD De Bilt, the Netherlands     |
|    Phone: (31)-30-2203170; Fax: (31)-30-2202695; GSM: (31)-6-54723974    |
|                         E-mail: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl                       |
|         DMS-website: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm         |