[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Hello from Nashville...

There are sevreal ancient pre-columbian manuscripts from Mexico (Aztec,
Maya, Mixtec...)  which are astronomic in content. There are sections in
these texts which I believe refer to meteors, possibly to meteor showers. I
am fairly certain that the cultures of mesoamerica were aware that meteor
showers can be periodic, i.e. Perseids, Leonids... and that they might have
been aware of the periodic re-occurence of meteor storms such as the
Leonid's. The paper also has a list of meteor terms from all around the
world which indicate that in many localities, and in the native language of
that locality, the word for meteor etymologically means" star dung". Some
day I need to publish an update to the article.

>Hi, Carlos! I was curious what the topic of your "archaeometeorics" (?)
>article was? I've heard of the JofAA, but I've never seen a copy.
>
>Lew

Carlos Trenary                                 lab: 615-322-6950
Systems Analyst                             fax: 615-322-6952
Microcomputer Labs                         home:615-298-4764 (starting
Dec.31,1996)
Vanderbilt University                         beep:615-951-2246
Nashville TN 37235