[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) mesoamerica Meteor showers

Several people have requested it, so maybe I need to scan it or format it so
it can be sent by e-mail. I'll see if I can get to it in the next few days.
Be patient with me and I'll get it out.

><< There are sevreal ancient pre-columbian manuscripts from Mexico (Aztec,
> Maya, Mixtec...)  which are astronomic in content. There are sections in
> these texts which I believe refer to meteors, possibly to meteor showers. I
> am fairly certain that the cultures of mesoamerica were aware that meteor
> showers can be periodic, i.e. Perseids, Leonids... and that they might have
> been aware of the periodic re-occurence of meteor storms such as the
> Leonid's. The paper also has a list of meteor terms from all around the
> world which indicate that in many localities, and in the native language of
> that locality, the word for meteor etymologically means" star dung". Some
> day I need to publish an update to the article.
>
>  >>
>--------------------
>Carlos,
>Do you have this article available to email? If so, could you please send it
>to me? Thanks!
>George Zay

Carlos Trenary                                 lab: 615-322-6950
Systems Analyst                             fax: 615-322-6952
Microcomputer Labs                         home:615-298-4764 (starting
Dec.31,1996)
Vanderbilt University                         beep:615-951-2246
Nashville TN 37235