[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Resend Re: (meteorobs) Re: 2 pre-max Geminid nights

<< Concerning George's comment about  the large numbers of Geminid meteors
seen
 from Europe, I attribute this to better perception alone.  We have recently
 discussed how many more observers today are above the long-term average
 perception for meteors seen, and Europe has recently developed a
 concentration of this type of observer.  Australia had the same thing going
 on during the early 80's.  The Geminids have no definite peak, but the
 maximum rates last a full day so everyone can see these every dark year.  I
 consistently see top rates in the low 80's no matter when any "exact peak"
 occurs.

----------------
Norman,
I have to agree with you that I believe Europe has a good concentration of
observers with excellent perceptions...but I don't think their exceptional
high rates for the 1996 Geminids could be totally explained by this. I
believe Rainer and Rendtel reported counts for almost a similar number of
hours as I in the neighborhood of over 600?( I'm going totally on memory at
the moment.).  I once had the pleasure of having both of these gents
observing with Lunsford and I during the 1995 Eta Aquarids and kinda got a
"feel" for their observing abilities. I believe to recall thinking  to myself
that Rainer seemed to have about the same or a hair better perception
abilities as I. I sort of use Rainer as my own personal yardstick to gauge
activity over in Europe. It's not entirely precise, but ball parkish enough
to think I can note any major upswings beyond our observing abilities.
George Zay