[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) mesoamerica Meteor showers

When I originally saw Carlos' article a few years ago, I thought it was
quite interesting to see that a common term for meteor was "star dung." My
own research into astronomical myths and legends has revealed a similar
term is frequently used by natives of North, Central, and South America,
numerous Polynesian islands, and by several natives of Africa.

Another story I have found and enjoyed is that the mighty Aztecs were
afraid to go outside at night. They feared that a meteor might hit them and
cause them to develop and infection and die. This is certainly one of the
more curious myth/legend about meteors.

Gary W. Kronk