[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Jeopardy question, Meteors, Hale-Bopp

Hi All,
	An amusing side note to our hobby. Monday night I was watching
Jeopardy as I always do. (I think even most European countries have a local
version)...and in double Jeopardy one category was astronomy. I always
drool when that one pops up! Anyhoo, finally it came time for the $1000
answer.
It was "The Perseids and....(At this point my brain blew a fuse)> I was
later able to reconstruct, with Ann's help, the rest of the answer which
went something like "the Leonids are the best known examples".
I thought of each and every one of you at that moment (sniff, sniff).
Interestingly enough all 3 contestants, one of which took home in excess of
$10,000 for the show, stood there with the blankest look on their
face....time expired, no one even rang in to guess at the question.
Sheesh...guess we don't get enough publicity out. Ann said "even I knew
that". Of course living with me, if she hadn't, I would have had her locked
up for lack of brain activity.
	Another fascinating moment in the life of a meteor observer.
	By the way, observed Tue night from 2020 to 2240 LOCAL time(0120 to
0340 UT) and was traeated to 3 whole entire meteors. Had it not been for
the balmy 30 degree (0 C) temperatures, Kevin and I wouldn't have enjoyed
it so much. Finally got up before sunrise to see Hale Bopp. Now VERY EASILY
visible naked eye...I'd guess about Mag 2.5 or so. Much higher in the sky.
No tail visible naked eye, although I could detect a soft edge up there.
Through binoculars (Before eyepiece froze over...temp had dropped to 12
degrees), Broad tail extended 2 to 3 degrees. It was very cold and windy by
then so  it was a short look though.

	Wayne Tv