[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Comet Hale-Bopp naked-eye Jan.29, 1045 UT

Hello Observers'

 Saw Hale-Bopp from our University roof at 1045 UT today with some
twilight starting. A rough estimate I made it 2.5 magnitude using
Polaris at 2.0 and Gamma Cygni at 2.2 magnitude. Hale-Bopp, to me
anyway, looked just a tad fainter than Gamma Cygni so put it at the
2.5 mag. I could only see the blue color of it, looked like a star
really. It was very windy and COLD trying to hold the 7x50's and not
being blown off the roof!
 In all it is getting there...

And as a side note, Mercury is still visible near the south-east
horizion..

Clear skies...
Michael Boschat ( Astronomer )    E-mail: andromed@atm.daldot ca
Atmospheric Sciences              Lab Phone: (902) 494-7060
Dept. of Oceanography             Fax: (902) 494-2885
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CANADA, B3H 4J1         My ASTRONOMY Web Page: http://www.atm.daldot ca/~andromed