Original Text
From: kronkg@medicine.wustldot edu (Gary W. Kronk), on 1/29/97 5:46 PM:
To: <meteorobs@latrade.com>

The whole magnitude situation for Hale-Bopp is quite interesting. When
considering the experienced observers, we have some recently reporting a
roller coaster effect for the brightness, others reporting a steady
increase, and a few reports of another brightness stagnation (remember last
summer?).

I have been analysing the brightness curve of this comet since late 1995,
and these recent contradictory reports represent a major challenge to
interpret. In recent conversations with Dan Green and other comet
observers, it seems that all the observations are probably correct (this
representing the fact that the observers are not erroneous), but that the
observing conditions as a result of the comet's altitude are sometimes
providing an inaccurate view of the comet. As an example, observers in
Norway and other Scandinavian conutries see the comet at the highest
altitude and have reported an almost steady increase since January began. I
have personally seen the comet dip in brightness twice as the month began,
but these both occurred during thawing periods where, humidity levels were
high and fog developed later in the day. All my other observations have
occurred at temperatures ranging from 6 to -5 F and these reveal a
consistent brightening. My observations during the last four days reveal a
0.2-magnitude increase! Charles Morris and Dan Green are two other North
American observers reporting a steady increase in brightness.

In the long run, these estimates will all be grouped together and something
representing the comet's true brightness trend will be revealed. This comet
is an excellent example of why I have so intensively researched and
observed comets for over 23 years. They are fun to observe because you just
never know what you're going to get!

Sincerely,
Gary