[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) off topic -- Hale-Bopp Feb.3 Observation

Date: Feb.3, 1997

Time: 0540-0550 UT

Location: Roof of Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Observer: Michael Boschat

Latitude: N 44d 39'

Longitude: W 63d 36'

Height above sea level: 58 meters

Limiting mag.: 5.0

Seeing (1 to 5 - best to worst): 2

Instrument: naked-eye, 7x50 binoculars

Magnification:

Object(s): Comet Hale-Bopp

Comet near the constellation Sagitta. With naked eye it was visible as
a blue starlike object. Comparing it to Gamma Aquilae ( 2.2 mag ) Comet
Hale-Bopp was to me at least just a bit fainter and I put it at 2.1 magnitude.
It was just fainter than Polaris, where Polaris is about 2.0 mag.

 In the 7x50 binoculars, a fan shaped tail about 1 1/2 degrees pointing,
almost towards Gamma Cygni was noticed, again it looked blue in color.
I thought I may have detected possible "jet" like areas near the head in
the 7x50 binoculars, but not sure about this.

Clear skies

Michael Boschat ( Astronomer )    E-mail: andromed@atm.daldot ca
Atmospheric Sciences              Phone: (902) 494-7060
Dept. of Oceanography             FAX: (902) 494-2885
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CANADA, B3H 4J1          ASTRONOMY Web Page: http://www.atm.daldot ca/~andromed