[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale/Bopp Observation Feb 3 ZAYGE

Comet Hale/Bopp observation Feb 3, 1997

Observing from my Descanso observatory under clear, but windy skies and a
Limiting magnitude of 6.0, the comet looked superb. Looking thru 14X100
binoculars, I was able to see a 2 degree tail. As for estimated magnitude, I
used both Epsilon Cygni and Gamma Cygni as reference stars. After condensing
the coma and tail, I give Hale/Bopp a magnitude range of 2.0 - 2.2.  I can
see part of the tail with the naked eye. Thru the binoculars, the view was
the best I've seen of this comet yet. It appeared better looking to me than
Hyakutake did when it was just sporting a 2 degree tail. The tail now has a
graceful soft look. It reminds me of a boulder in a river as both sides of
the coma swept back it's tail and rejoined with a noticeable gap directly
behind the coma.
George Zay
Descanso, Calif.
Long: 116 deg 37' West