[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) color of fireballs

>From my experience I have seen a small number of "greenish" meteors
>down to second magnitude. These appeared as pale green, a mixture of
>white and green. Of the common colors present in meteors (yellow,
>orange, blue, and green) green is by far the rarest. Some may include
>red, but I have never seen a red meteor, at least not close to the
>color present on aircraft lights.
>
>Bob Lunsford
I believe this is a function of an individuals eyes as to it being rare or
not. I see Green more than I see blue or yellow.  I seldom see yellow...they
all seem white to me. I only see a few that I can genuinely call yellow. I've
seen an occasional red, although these can be considered as dark orange I
guess. I've seen a decent amount of oranges though...particularly with the
Taurids and with last years Leonids there were a good batch of
them...something I wasn't expecting personally.
George Zay