[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Sender: owner-meteorobs

George, and other Hale-Boppers

>From: GeoZay@aol.com
>Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 12:23:24 -0500 (EST)
>Subject: (meteorobs) Hale/Bopp Observation Feb 3 ZAYGE
>Observing from my Descanso observatory under clear, but windy skies and a
>Limiting magnitude of 6.0, the comet looked superb.

Drat, all this talk of Hale-Bopp is making my mouth water.  It culminates
around mid-day here at the moment in the southern hemisphere, so I'm missing
the show.  I'm off to Germany from Feb 13-23, so I'll see it if the Germans
arrange nice weather for me (Rainer, please, please...).  You guys up north
get all the luck (Hyakutake, Hale-Bopp, outbursts of Perseids, Leonids,
Geminids etc. etc.).

This week I'll be doing the alpha Centaurids, and hoping for a mega-outburst.

The buzz here in SA at the moment is a mag -15 fireball seen on Friday by
dozens of people, and reported by various media as a UFO.  I'm trying to get
enough reliable observations to reconstruct it's passage.

Best Wishes to you all

Tim Cooper