RE:	RASC List: Forward: asteroids on tv this month

Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 15:18:00 -0500 (EST)
From: PETER@danlon.physics.uwodot ca
To:   jedicke@zeus.fanshawec.ondot ca

Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 21:40:24 +1100 (EST)
From: Duncan Steel <DIS@AAOCBN3.AAOdot gov.AU>
To:   PETER@danlon.PHYSICS.UWOdot ca

U.S.  TV programs on asteroid and comet impacts, February 1997.

1.  FEB 7: NBC DATELINE.  Eight-minute preview of "Three Minutes to Impact"
(see below).

2.  FEB 9:  THREE MINUTES TO IMPACT
Discovery Channel 2-hour documentary by York Films

"Take a real-life look at the chances of a giant asteroid or comet hitting
the earth, and what would happen if one did.  Scientists, astronomers, and
evolutionists discuss the possibilities, while computer animation is used
to demonstrate the effects."

Sunday, Feb 9:  9-11 pm (ET/PT)
Sunday, Feb 15: 4-6 pm (ET/PT)
Wednesday, Feb 19: 8-10 pm (ET/PT)

3.  FEB 14:  DOOMSDAY, WHAT CAN WE DO?
Fox network one-hour special documentary

"How might the world end?  Could it be a meteor, deadly virus, nuclear
attack, global warming or a megaquake?  Each of these doomsday scenarios
are [sic] played out in a major American city."

Friday, Feb 14: 8-9 pm PT/ET

4.  FEB 16/17:  ASTEROID
NBC two-part fictional miniseries

"Astronomer discovers that an appraoching comet has dislodged several giant
asteroids, propelling them on a crash course with earth.  The first major
asteroid hits Kansas City.  Attempt to divert a still alrger fragment by
firing airborne lasers from F-16s creats a hellish meteor shower, with a
dangerously large asteroid headed for Dallas."

5.  FEB 26:  NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SPECIAL
NBC one-hour documentary