[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale/Bopp Obser Feb 8 ZAYGE

Observing from La Mesa, Calif. and under a 4.5 sky that's a tad bit hazy, I
seen comet Hale/Bopp appearing with a 1.6 deg tail thru my 14X100 binoculars.
Using Gamma Cygni as a reference star, I estimate the coma and nucleus of the
comet to have a magnitude within the range of 1.9 - 2.1.  I still see the
nucleus as being circular. No splitting or anything exotic appearing.

I would like to note that I cannot for the life of me get a magnitude
anywhere near the mid 1.5's that I've been reading in some reports. I can
understand the possibility of longer tails...such as those 15 deg long
reports if they came from very dark skies with good eyeballs doing the
looking.
George Zay