[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Photographing Aurora

>I know this is way off topic, but since this seems to be the slow part of
the
>year, hopefully there won't be too many complaints about the subject.
>Friends of mine are going to Siberia next month for the Solar eclipse, and
>were wondering what the best method of photographing aurora is in frigid
>conditions?  I guess the same would apply for meteors also?  Is static on
the
>film when it is advanced a problem, and what about those zero degree temps?
>All you Great White Northeners  speak up.  Cathy?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Becky Schultz
-----------
Becky,
I haven't had much opportunity to photograph auroras, but I have seen then
quite a bit while in North Dakota in 1970. They seem to have a lot of motion
to them., I would right off hand suggest relatively fast color film,  short
exposures, and wide open lens with fast  f/ stops. Probably a normal 50mm
lens at f/1.8 would suffice. You might have to experiment with
exposures...but I believe 1 minute would be the maximum duration unless you
intend to blur the aurora structures as one. You might want to vary from a
few seconds up to a minute. And as insurance try exposures in increments of 1
minute up to a few minutes. I'm sure folks from the northern latitudes have
fine tuned this a little better? but if you get no other response...try the
above.
George Zay