[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Photographing Aurora

>I'm a photographer and I haven't noticed any static problems on any film
>but black and white negative in cold temperatures.  Usually, if you
>rewind manually and don't use a motordrive to rewind the film, you'll be
>in good shape.
---------------
I believe the static problem you mentioned has something to do with low
humidity. Around here in s. Calif. during Santa Ana conditions (very low
humidity), you have to be very careful about winding your film... I advance
my film very slow to minimize the static discharge.  If you ever look at some
negatives or prints and see what looks like a line running thru it, we often
think of it as being a scratch...actually most of the time this is what
static electricity does to film when advanced too fast under very dry
conditions. Apparently the temperature doesn't matter much.  I make it a
habit to advance my film relatively slow during all conditions as a
precaution. Something I've acquired to do over the years.
George Zay