[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Cold weather...

Lew -

You wrote:
>Cathy, thanks for the description of your Cold Country meteor observing!
You're an inspiration to the >slackers among us, for whom February meteors might
not be QUITE enough incentive to go out in 10-20oF >temperatures! :(
>"-21oC"?! I've only experienced below-zero (< -18oC) temperatures in the open
air once in my life... The ice >crystals in the air were lovely, but a Teff 6
hour meteor session did NOT immediately suggest itself to me! :)

Well, don't paint me as <too> noble ;)  With our weather up here, all of us in
Ontario have been <starved> for clear skies since November.....  And, I just did
several hours of meteors on Friday night... it <was> fairly cool.   It was just
<so> great to see a sky though, that I couldn't pass it up!!

The only way I can manage -20'sC up here is if there's no wind.  On your U.S.
scale, our -20C is your -4F, and our -25C (like this morning!) is your -13F.
I'm starting to be able to get the <feel> of degrees Celsius, at least as far as
cold weather goes, but I still think in degrees Fahrenheit for summer
temperatures!

And... I find I'm still experimenting with winter gear.  While I felt
sufficiently warm meteor observing Friday night, I really got cool toes and
fingers this morning for the comet - and I was moving around!  I think maybe
it's time for new boot liners....  Heard an interesting hand warming concept
from someone out on the Prairies - apparently he covers his hands in vaseline,
then puts on thin latex surgical gloves, and then his normal mittens for
observing.  That's a new one on me, but he gets even colder temperatures than we
do in Ontario, and he claims the method works well.  I haven't tried it yet...

- Cathy
  Great White North