[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale/Bopp Obser Feb 12 ZAYGE

I got to see Hale/Bopp this morning from my Descanso observing site under 6.0
skies.  I estimated the comet's magnitude to be near 1.5 or 1.6 after
comparing it with Deneb (1.3). Looking thru my 14X100 binoculars I could see
a 2 degree tail with a hint of a probably longer ion tail. With the naked eye
there seems to be a very slight trace of a several degree long ion trail. I
had to look real hard to make any of it out. Robert Lunsford who observed
with me was able to see a longer tail than I. I was also busy trying to
photograph Hale/Bopp with my 4"SCT using the 10 inch as a guide scope. It
drifted in and out of a couple of tree branches that's been driving me nuts.
I hope to be out there tonight again. Maybe I just might prune me a couple of
little branches this evening so that I can try a better photographic effort
tomorrow if the weather holds up.
George Zay
Descanso, Calif
Long: 116 West