[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Discovery Documentary

At 11:17 AM 2/12/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Glenn Talaue wrote:  "No one yet has reported on the other show of Feb. 9.
>Please kindly postnews regarding asteroid impacts, Comet Hale-Bopp if any,
>and effects of asteroid/comet possible impact on earth if the Discovery
>documentary by York Films delve on this matter."

Hi All
Thomas gave an excellent summation of the program "3 Minutes to Impact.   I
would just like to add one segment that I thought would be of particular
interest to this group.  They went to an investigation in Brazil where an
impact had been reported about sixty five years ago.   They interviewed an
eighty six year old man who was fishing way up the Amazon River near the
border with Colombia and Peru on August 13th 1930, when he spotted a bright
blue "planet" streak through the sky and crash into the forest beyond.   He
then heard a loud booming noise and small waves ran across the river
surface.   The sky had a bright blue glow for some time after that.
Recent investigation has revealed a seismograph recording in Bolivia of a
seismic shock on that same day.  Aerial surveillance has also revealed what
appears to be a crater hidden in the thick jungle near where the fisherman
was that day.
That must have been the meteor sighting that WE have all been looking for!

Ron