[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Feb 12 Observations

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

I observed with George Zay from his observatory near Descanso CA this
morning. I counted 35 meteors during 4 1/2 hours of observing. 4 of
these meteors were members of the February Leonids (Virginids) while 1
possible Theta Centaurid was seen. All others were sporadics. One
sporadic fireball was seen low in the northeast at 850 UT. It was
estimated at -5 with a blue color and several sparks occurring at the
terminal burst.

The highlight of the morning was comet Hale-Bopp. I could see a long (15
degree) slender tail rising over the hill in the northeast before the
coma rose. The long tail protruded from the northern side of the comet
while a short (3 degree) fan tail was prominent in the mid and southern
sections of the comet. The tails were better seen with the unaided eye
possibly due to the intense dew problem that affected our binoculars
this morning. Through 14 X 100 binoculars a short bluish tail was seen
plus a distinct yellow nucleus. Also seen through binoculars was a
prominent jet on the south side of the nucleus spraying material forward
then arching back to form the southern edge of the comet's tail. It was
an impressive sight!

Just before driving off I noticed a bright satellite half way up in the
south moving eastward. It passed through the head of Scorpius and just a
degree or so above Antares. Just as that satellite was lost behind some
trees, another in a very similar orbit appeared in the south. It too
passed through the head of Scorpius and actually nicked Antares from
below. Judging by their brightness (both mag 0) I would guess that the
first satellite was the Hubble Space Telescope and the second was the
Shuttle. It was a nice way to end the observing session.

0830-0930 UT   0.93   6.49   2   FLE   1   TCE   5   SPO

0930-1030 UT   0.96   6.32   1   FLE   4   SPO

1030-1130 UT  0.96   6.38   1   FLE   5   SPO

1130-1300 UT  1.40   6.40   6   SPO

F was 1.00 the entire session. I faced southeastward at an altitude of
60 degrees.

Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity:   30 F (-1 C)   63%

Ending Temperature/Relative Humidity:   28 F (-2 C)   79%

Bob Lunsford