[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale-Bopp observation, Thu Feb 12/13, 10:35UT

I'm just coming in from a sidewalk session observing Hale-Bopp. Tail length seems somewhere over 6o in a 4.25" scope, even in my ugly haze-ridden, LM=4.9 sky, fending off the glare of the street lights! (And thus the AstroScan proves itself once again. ;>) Mag estimate of the central coma 1.8 (just about mid-way between Gamma Cygni and Deneb, somewhat more steps away from Deneb than Deneb is away from Altair). A bright jet or second tail is clearly visible splitting off SW (PA 225), reaching about 1.5o at most. The innermost coma appeared elongated in PA 0o even at 18x, but 60x couldn't resolve two pseudonuclei... Could our comet be ready to split, or was this just an effect of coffee-deprivation?

Either way, what a glorious sight!

Lew, with frozen fingers and eyes aglow

Karen Simmons & Lew Gramer lewkaren@tiacdot net http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren