[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Training your parents to astronomy...

Jonathan -

You wrote:
>I told my mom about Cathy, and she thought that she was totally crazy!!!

Well, I've had a longer time to train my parents to astronomy and meteor
observing ;)....  I first got interested in meteors at the age of 11, but didn't
get linked up to an organized group until I was about 15... and that was an
interesting experience because all the <older> guys weren't too thrilled about
this young <female> kid!!  In fact, when I first joined the Ottawa group, the
observatory being used at the time had been declared off-limits to girls!!!

I trained my parents gradually.  There was a club at our local high school, and
I started going out meteor observing with them.  As one of the teachers came
along on several of the early trips, my Mom didn't mind.  Then I let her meet
several of the older observers (they were the ones that could drive), and she
didn't object.  So, then, I was all set!

I'm sure I pushed the limits a bit at times... when I had to get a friend to
shimmy up to our second floor balcony to crawl in a window for me when I forgot
my house key one night after meteor observing (my parents weren't home!)... when
my Mom woke up one morning and I had about a dozen out-of-town astronomy friends
camped out in the livingroom (I forgot to tell her they were coming!).... when
every new comet seemed to be visible right in the middle of dinner! .... and,
one of my favorites - one morning, to view Venus really close to the moon, I set
up my spotting scope on a tripod, in my parents' bedroom, quietly <removed>
their bedroom window, and watched the moon and Venus from the far side of the
room, <over top> of my sleeping parents....!!

Parents do get concerned, though, and rightly.  Especially in the winter time,
and the cold.  I always meteor observed with other people, and even when I got
my drivers licence and could go out on my own, always offered one of the guys a
lift - so that I would have backup in case of a flat tire or car trouble ;))

When the weather warms up a bit (!), try to get your parents outside to look at
<something> astronomical - maybe the comet in the evening sky (parents don't do
mornings!).  March 31st is last quarter moon, and right at perihelion, and the
comet will be about at its highest point above the western horizon.  Should be
really good!  Parents are also impressed with you pointing out planets to them.
So, even if they don't stay outside to watch meteors, they at least get an
appreciation for your interest in astronomy..... And, years later - parents
remember things you showed them, and are glad you did (even if they weren't too
thrilled at being dragged outside at the time ;))

So, hang in there.  Work at training your parents!!  Good luck!

- Cathy
  (Whose mother never really knew what hit her... :))