[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Shower rates

>Jim,
>I just checked out AMS's new web site. I noticed you guys have Hourly Rates
>for the Quadrantids at 40, Geminids at 50 and Perseids at 50.  Is this your
>update or is AMS sticking to these rates?
>George Zay

Hi George,

Thanks for looking, I appreciate any constructive criticism.  The rates you
quote are from our Introduction to Visual Observing "handout".  It was last
updated in '93, and is in need of a rewrite.

The rates you quoted are indicated as general guides to activity for
newcomers.  Quoting ZHR's here would be a little misleading; if you tell the
inexperienced observer to expect 100 Perseids per hour, he'll figure that's
what he should see from his suburban front yard, standing under the
streetlight and looking up!  That's what always seems to happen in the
general media; every year I hear the news stories about the Perseids,
promising 80-100/hr.  They leave out the part about "under dark skies, with
no moon, well after midnight", etc.  Then the public heads out under the
streetlight at 9 pm, sees nothing, and says "Just like that darn Comet
Kohoutek!".

And of course you and I know that peak shower rates in some cases last only
a few hours at best.  What realistic rate rate do you quote the public for
the Quadrantids?  For most of us (except Norman McLeod in Florida, the lucky
dog) it was pretty darn low this year.

So for consumption by the general public, those numbers are not too far off.
Obviously, the 15 rate given for the Leonids is a little low in light of
recent events.  Some of the others may need adjustment as well.  Once
someone gets hooked, though, then we can all teach them the ins, the outs,
and the art of meteor shower rates.

Jim Bedient