[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Audience...

Jim Bedient et al -

George asked:
>I just checked out AMS's new web site. I noticed you guys have Hourly Rates
>for the Quadrantids at 40, Geminids at 50 and Perseids at 50.  Is this your
>update or is AMS sticking to these rates?

and you replied:
>The rates you quote are from our Introduction to Visual Observing "handout".
It was last updated in '93, and is in need of a rewrite.
>The rates you quoted are indicated as general guides to activity for newcomers.
They leave out the part about "under dark skies, with no moon, well after
midnight", etc.  So for consumption by the general public, those numbers are not
too far off.
>Once someone gets hooked, though, then we can all teach them the ins, the outs,
and the art of meteor shower rates.

Guess my comment would be:  who's your web page audience here?  Is it the
serious amateur, perhaps new to meteors,  who could understand a simple but
well-written short piece on how you quote your rates?  or is it the general
public???  < Who>  is most likely to cruise web pages?

Personally, I feel that the general public is more likely to go out and read a
newspaper or magazine article on meteor showers.   And sure, if you're really
writing for the general public, simple is better - and gets people's interest,
your main objective.  OK, keep your quoted rates moderate in the newspaper or
magazine - but qualify them - mention that rates <are> higher if dark skies,
etc.

If a person has gotten to the stage where they are into computers, learning more
about technical things, and actually checking out a <meteor organization> on a
web site, for pete's sake quote the rates properly and give an explanation as to
what your rates represent!!  That's my opinion anyway.....

>Then the public heads out under the streetlight at 9 pm, sees nothing, and says
"Just like that darn Comet
Kohoutek!".

One of <my> pet peeves... Correct the public!  Kohoutek was one of my favorite
comets, and I will stick up for it every time!!!  I was living on the fringe of
Ottawa, 20 miles from Parliament Hill,  and got a great view of it.  There was a
horse barn across the highway from us, and the tail on that comet was as long as
the barn was high.... even my mother could see it!  Kohoutek was a <nice> comet,
and I correct the public every time..... ;))

So, that's my 2 cents!  I believe in giving people the correct information the
first time around - just word it simply so they can understand it....

By the way, Jim, I did check out the web site, looks good!  I thought the dates
for minor shower activity were an interesting touch (web site gives dates of
possible minor shower activity, but no details as to possible shower radiant, so
as not to biase the observer).  I had never heard about 'observing under glass',
and was trying to picture this until I realized that you were talking about a
glass-topped laptop chart board.... And heated shirts are a new one on me....

- Cathy
  Great White North