[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale-Bopp computation request

To someone out there with good astronomy software -

Over some reasonable interval, for example present to May 15, and at
some reasonable frequency, one to five days, for latitude 45 degrees
(I live at 47, but I'm willing to compromise), please compute in
tabular form the times for the following events, Sun Rise/Set,
Astronomical Twilight End/Start, Moon Rise/Set, and Hale-Bopp
Rise/Set.  What I'm trying to create is a chart that shows observation
opportunities for Hale-Bopp, similar to the S&T all-year chart.

Yes, I have a copy of Meeus, but if someone already has implemented
software ...  Okay, I'll admit to being lazy.  If it would help, I can
mail the appropriate portion from the Hale-Bopp ephemeris at
http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/hbeph.html

It's been cloudy here, so I've been reading "The Case for Mars: The
Plan to Settle the Red Planet and Why We Must," by Robert Zubrin with
Richard Wagner [Free Press] (see http://www.magickdot net/mars/).  Good
stuff.  This book shows how we could mount a program to land humans on
Mars within 10 years for reasonable cost, as part of a continuous
program of exploration.  Anyone else want to go?  To tie this in with
comets, an exercise for the reader; what does/will Hale-Bopp look like
from Mars?

Gregg Lobdell                             Voice: 206-234-0884
Boeing Commercial Airplane Group            Fax: 206-234-5775
Seattle, WA, USA                       InterNet: gml@atadot ca.boeing.com