[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Hale-Bopp computation request

Gregg wrote:
Over some reasonable interval, for example present to May 15, and at
some reasonable frequency, one to five days, for latitude 45 degrees
(I live at 47, but I'm willing to compromise), please compute in
tabular form the times for the following events, Sun Rise/Set,
Astronomical Twilight End/Start, Moon Rise/Set, and Hale-Bopp
Rise/Set.  What I'm trying to create is a chart that shows observation
opportunities for Hale-Bopp, similar to the S&T all-year chart.

Wayne comments:
	I would recommend using nautical twilight as a better representation
of when twilight becomes an impediment to observing. I've carefully
measured LM throughout the twilight periods for meteorobs, and have found
that if skies are clear, obvservations are only minimally affected between
astro and nautical twilight. After that,(in the morning) conditions
deteriorate very rapidly, so that by civil twilight, the sky is quite
bright (LM~ 2).
	Just my 2 cents worth,
Wayne