[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Shower Rates

OK folks,

This demand for the AMS to "act like real scientists" and to "tell the
truth" is becoming a little bit overblown.

I am quite sure that all of you serious meteor observers are fully aware of
the fact that meteor shower rates can vary widely between observers
depending upon experience, location, viewing conditions and the like, and
also that study generated meteor shower rates can also vary significantly
based upon time period covered, number of data points, spread of data
points, and correction factors applied.  It is very difficult to pick one
single number as being REPRESENTATIVE for one particular shower.

The numbers currently presented on the AMS web site are rather "classic"
values for the major shower rates, and represent, in a very general sense,
what an inexperienced observer might expect to see under good (but not
exceptional) conditions.  This was in keeping with the purpose of the
Bulletin (202), which is designed to be an INTRODUCTION to meteor observing
and the AMS Visual Program.  The numbers are ball park figures of what a
novice observer might actually expect to count if he or she goes out to
observe around the time of maximum and looks in the right general direction.
Fully corrected, statistically averaged, shower peak ZHR rates are simply
not very realistic figures to hand to someone who barely knows what a meteor
shower is, and would only prove to be disappointing.

Bulletin 202 is NOT a scientific research paper or published study of
corrected shower rates and behavior.  It is simply an introduction to the
practice of meteor observing, giving rough estimates of what a novice
observer might actually see if they go out an try to look.  The more
technical aspects, such as  observing techniques, correction factors, ZHR
determinations, magnitude distributions, and the presentation of
post-analysis results are all topics for a different publication or future
Web page.

The AMS has also been in the role of public education for many years, and
(Cathy) the majority of letters and E-mail we get are from lay persons,
novice amateur astronomers, and school children asking for general
information or answers about some specific meteor or cometary event.  It
will not be the serious, potential meteor observer who visits us most
frequently, but persons of all ages who just drop by on a passing search thread.

Yes, the AMS hopes to create a Web site which is pleasing to both the
passing general public AND to serious meteor observers alike.  However, the
site is new, and is undergoing some "growing pains." A little patience on
your part might be nice.  Jim Bedient has been in his new post for less than
two weeks, and he has already shifted us to a better provider, given us a
better look and a new front page, in addition to providing better systems
for handling fireball reports and E-mail enquiries.   We are now putting
together a Radiometeor Project page, with additional pages and links
planned.  He asked you for constructive comments and criticism, NOT another
knee-jerk attack on the AMS.

The AMS does not cater to ONLY the serious meteor observer, but to persons
of all ages and skill levels, all of whom have some interest in meteor
science.  This is in keeping with the objectives of our founder, Dr.
Olivier, and our current charter.  One could ask why, because this certainly
puts the onus on the researcher working with our database to carefully
screen all data utilized for an analysis.  The answer is that in addition to
the goal of scientific meteor research and amateur-professional
collaboration, the AMS has also enjoyed a long-term positive effect from
supporting those observers who may not have the skill or desire to join the
meteor observer "elite."

We are well aware of the fact that the serious meteor observer will not be
completely satisfied with just being an AMS member, especially in the area
of actively following meteor showers, coordinated "campaigns," and the like.
Nonetheless, serious meteor observers are welcome to affiliate themselves
with the AMS, in addition to their other organizations.  We have a current
interest in studying and understanding the underlying statistical "fabric"
of the sporadic meteor flux, and your observations are welcome, especially
for those slow non-shower nights and early evening periods.

I might also issue the challenge to you that rather than shouting at us from
the sideline, you might also consider actually joining the game.  We are a
volunteer organization, and human resources are always a precious commodity.
The best way to bring about positive changes and new ideas is from the
inside, not the outside.

Sincerely,

Jim Richardson
AMS Radiometeor Project Coordinator