[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hale-Bopp Observations

To all subscribers,

My colleagues in the press have asked me tons of questions regarding Comet
Hale-Bopp. We are receiving reports from three continents about this most
promising event.

The continent of the Americas has posted the closest approach to earth on
March 22, 1997.

The European continent says otherwise. their figure is on March 27, 1997.

The Australian observatory says closest approach to earth is on March 17, 1997.

These reports save the Americas report is by word of mouth.

So, I pose the question, what is the truth? When is the closest approach to
earth?

Further, we have tracked your conversations on meteorobs regarding The NBC
flick and The Discovery Documentary. Most near all replies seem to be
critique with an authoritative voice and/or people who know what they are
talking about. The local media (not tabloids) will be gathering first week
of March to discuss in a closed confidential meeting, a scenario wherein
the main focus will be how do you inform people about these events "if
ever" the earth was directly involved. They will be discussing "what do we
tell the public?" For once they will not be discussing "what about our
prestigious papers reputation?"

This is the first meeting of its kind in our area and for once the media
wil decide to act reponsibly and objectibly. We would very much appreciate
your response to the issues as follows:
1.      What can an asteroid/comet impact do to earth?
2.      What is the degree of devastation on a realistic scale?
3.      How do you bring this to the attention of the people without
panicking
        them and sensationalizing?

There are many loop holes to these questions so lets use a scale. Loop
holes meaning there  is the speed, size, location of impact factor to
address in answering the questions and probably much more. To solve this
loop hole lets use the most talk about comet, Comet Hale-Bopp. The point of
impact to be used will be the Atlantic Ocean.

Send us your response with your designation and email address. We will note
the name, designation and email address of the responses we use. We are
counting on responses that are practical/scientific/logical and
non-sensational as obviously the NBC show was.

We hope for your kind consideration on this matter.

Sincerely yours,

Glenn Talaue
Publications Manager

**All responses to be sent to <gatalaue@mail.globe.com.ph>**