[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Internet Message

Wayne,

Do you agree that meteor showers can't (hurt?) anyone?

Jonathan(NTZT04A@prodigy.com)

WEll yes sort of... :-)
I was going to comment on that but I changed my mind, but since you
asked.:-)
I'd say meteor showers can't hurt anyone...on the earth,
99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
percent of the time. However, one thing you learn in life is you should
never count anything out. It is not impossible that a big chunk of mostly
rock broke off a comet a thousand years ago and is hiding among a normal
shower. Not likely, darn near impossible, but not absolutly impossible.
Meteors of baseball to softball size DO hit the earth (Peekskill NY, twice
in the last 20 years, etc), but of course in general they are not shower
meteors...rather they are more solid, asteroidal material.
	However, one set of folks is in possibly higher danger than we are,
and that would be the astronauts who have no atmosphere to protect them.
That is the danger in making general statements....there often are
exceptions if you look hard enough.
The astronauts risk may be astronomically (HaHA) small, but it is greater
than ours is down here.
	So you are right almost all the time.But there can be exceptions.
What do you think? Does what I said make sense to you? Anyone else?

Wayne