[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Internet Message

At 04:41 PM 2/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Wayne,
>
>Do you agree that meteor showers can't anyone?
>

>Jonathan(NTZT04A@prodigy.com)
>http://pages.prodigy.com/Astro/homepage.htm

Hi Jonathon

No, I don't agree that meteor showers can't (hurt/harm) anyone.
NASA is at the moment working on a project to estimate the possible damage
that the Leonid showers, for the next few years, can do to the Space Station
(and to the Space Shuttle should it be in orbit at those times).   The Space
Station will be in the middle of the construction phase and astronauts will
be working on it, so they will be in great danger.   In addition,  while
they will try to keep the Space Shuttle on the ground at the time of the
shower, it may be necessary to send it up for rescue reasons.  In which case
they will turn it around backwards in order to give as much protection as
possible to the astronauts.  It should be borne in mind that although the
shower may consist of small particles, there have been observations at
previous peak times of several thousands per hour, and they are only the
ones that we see burn up in the atmosphere.   Their density  above the
atmosphere will be much higher and with a closing speed of over 160,000 MPH
they can have quite a sand papering effect on anything unfortunate to get in
their way.

Ron