[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Hale/Bopp photo Feb 12 ZAYGE

<<
 George, glad to hear your shots came out well. However, for those of us who
 do not have a couple of SCT's sitting around and would like to give HB
 photography a shot, drag out your old K1000's and a tripod!. I made some
 really nice shots on the morning of 15 February using your basic camera and
 tripod (Canon Rebel II, EF 50mm/1.8 II, Bogen 3021/3262 head), unguided. I
 shot Kodak Royal Gold 400, using a 50 mm lens at f/1.8 to f/5.6. Exposures
 ranged from 8 seconds to 45 seconds. Best shots seemed to be 30 seconds at
 f/2.8. Minimaml trailing and nice color, although not as good a my shots of
 Hyakutake on Fuji 800. I'm going to try to locate some 800 speed film and
 give it another try if the clouds go away!

John,
You might want to consider a short exposure with an unguided telescope for 1,
2, or 3 seconds of just the coma? The comet is bright enough to do this. I
made a 1 second exposure yesterday morning with my 4" at f/5 using tmax 400
film. After development, you can easily see the nucleus, a short extension of
the southerly jet . BTW...this is the only jet I've been able to come up with
on my negatives at any exposure.
George Zay