[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Hale/Bopp Obser Feb 20 ZAYGE

Hi, George, thanks for the observing report. I also got out
to look at the comet this morning, still in moonlight at around
4:30 EST (0930UT). I estimated the total light of the coma at
about midway between Deneb and Altair, putting it at 1.0 for me.
The ion tail seemed shorter in my 7x50s as well, at maybe 3o.
However, its definitely brighter near the coma, as I could now
make out a 1o tail naked-eye, despite LM=4.4 skies.

BTW, I was curious about one thing in your post: you mentioned
you were surprised your photos showed the south-spewing jet on the
same side as the more prominent (meaning the ion?) tail. Why?

Clear skies,
Lew