[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Public Education In N. America

Lew commented:
>Anyhow, I generally agree with everything you said. The only point I
intended to make was that IMO doesn't focus on educating the GENERAL public
about meteors: the already-an-amateur-astronomer or
might-be-a-good-meteor-observer-someday public yes, but the general public
no. This latter task is usually left to who ever happens to be stumble along
at the particular moment when the press (including S&T and Astronomy :<)
wants to know about meteors.

Hi Lew,
I won't go into depth here since Sirko already commented on this. I just
wanted to add that even with combined efforts of NAMN and ALPO, as well as
the NJAA group in the northeast, we still are not able to cover our little
corner of the world. There are still astronomy clubs, high school science
clubs, etc. that slip through the cracks when needing meteor information.
With the membership of IMO being worldwide, I feel it would be more
difficult for them to cover N. America than us. So I personally would rather
not expect IMO solely to be the provider of public information. Of course,
any assistance they can provide would be most welcome, but NAMN and ALPO
should operate as if it was up to us. And as you may recall from the recent
NAMN staff meeting, we still have many 'irons in the fire' that haven't even
been fully discussed yet..... :->>

Mark